1 cup fruity red wine, such as Merlot or Shiraz
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
2 tablespoons brandy
1-2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 ripe but firm medium peaches, peeled and halved
6 slices angel food cake (1 inch thick)
1. Combine wine and orange juice in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in Triple Sec (or other orange liqueur), brandy and 1 tablespoon sugar. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice. Taste and stir in remaining sugar if needed for a pleasantly sweet but not cloying sauce.
3. Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack (see Tip, below).
4. Brush peaches lightly with 2 tablespoons of the wine sauce, reserving the rest. Transfer the peaches and cake slices to the grill. Grill the cake over indirect heat or the coolest part of the grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Grill the peaches over direct heat until softened and browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes per side. In the last minute of grilling, brush the peaches with 2 tablespoons more of the wine sauce.
5. Arrange 1 cake slice and 2 peach halves on each dessert plate and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serve hot or at room temperature.
To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don't use cooking spray on a hot grill.)